CONTEMPORARY MUSIC DIRECTOR (PART-TIME)
Position Overview: Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church (SAPC), a congregation of the Presbyterian Church USA, is a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive faith community in North Raleigh. We are looking to hire a part-time Contemporary Music Director to provide spiritual, organizational, and musical leadership for SAPC’s contemporary worship service and for the volunteer vocalists and instrumentalists who comprise the praise team. The position will require an estimated 10-15 hours per week. The successful candidate will have a vibrant faith, impeccable musicianship, and performance and leadership skills as both a vocalist and an instrumentalist. Keyboard skills are preferred, but applicants with other instrumental skills will be considered.
- Leading music for the weekly contemporary worship service from September – May, and in the summer as scheduled (typically 5-7 per summer). This includes verbal leadership to the congregation, spontaneous introductions of song and prayers, etc., to create an appropriate atmosphere for a praise-oriented worship service.
- Leading a weekly rehearsal with the praise team and vocalists. This includes giving clear direction to both the vocalists and instrumentalists regarding performance details and giving productive feedback to facilitate group improvement. This also includes a vocalist-only rehearsal that allows for vocalists to learn music.
- Locating and selecting music that is idiomatic to a contemporary worship service, shows awareness of reformed worship traditions and PCUSA, is thematically relevant to the sermon and scriptural themes of the week, and is appropriate in level of difficulty to both the praise team and congregation. This includes the introduction of new songs within worship and presenting the new songs in a way that allows for ease of learning by the congregation.
- Planning special services as needed during the year for church holidays, special music days, etc.
- Coordinating with DMM and other staff members as needed, particularly in the areas of planning and communication. This includes the judicious use of social media platforms to communicate upcoming songs and special events.
- Communicating and cooperating with the sound and visual technology coordinators to ensure accurate projection of lyrics, special sound needs and changes, etc.
- Scheduling and securing payment for guest musicians for special services as needed.
- Developing relationships with SAPC members and visitors to identify and recruit potential volunteers for the praise team.
- Attending the monthly Worship and Music Team meeting.
- Performing other duties as needed.
- Vocal and instrumental performance and leadership skills. Although keyboard skills are highly desired, other instrumental skills will be considered
- A Bachelor of music degree or a commensurate amount of experience and musicianship
- A vibrant Christian faith
- Knowledge of contemporary Christian music
- Experience leading a worship team and Christian worship
To Apply: Send your resume with references to CMDsearch@sapc.com. Video or audio samples of worship leadership will be accepted but are not required.